Are you a coffee drinker? What do you do with your leftover coffee?
As the only coffee drinker in our house, I occasionally find myself with leftover brewed coffee.
I tried using a single serving coffee brewer, but I wasn’t keen on the taste of the coffee and hated all of the extra waste created by the coffee pods. And let’s face it, those pods are not cheap!
Obviously, the ideal solution is just to brew the correct amount of coffee every day. This is sometimes easier said than done. As a result, I’ve found some creative ways to use up my leftover brewed coffee.
If you’re in the same boat, here are 15 ideas to try to use up any coffee leftovers you may have:
- Freeze leftover coffee in ice cube trays and keep in the freezer to make iced coffee drinks. (Also yummy in mixed alcoholic drinks or liqueurs.)
- Pour over your flower or vegetable garden or container plants to enrich the soil. Acid-loving plants like hydrangea, blueberries and azaleas in particular will appreciate a shot of coffee.
- Soak ladyfingers in your leftover coffee to make tiramisu.
- Keep it in the fridge to drink as iced coffee – a good use for some of those frozen coffee ice cubes!
- Use in place of the milk or water in homemade chocolate cake or brownie recipes.
- Add it to marinades for grilled meats.
- Pour it on your compost pile. The acids in coffee help things break down faster.
- Pour it over vanilla ice cream for a mocha dessert.
- Use it to make iced cappuccino or lattes.
- Add it to frosting to make a mocha frosting.
- Make mocha ice cream with it.
- Use it to dye paper or fabric for an antique look.
- Add it to hot chocolate for a chocolate mocha beverage.
- Add some to your favourite chili recipe.
- Make a coffee shake or smoothie with it. (see easy recipe below)
Ingredients for Banana Coffee Smoothie
- 1 cup brewed coffee, cold
- 1 banana, chopped
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- Place all ingredients in blender.
- Mix until well blended.
Banana Coffee Shake
To make a Banana Coffee shake, just replace the yogurt with 1/2 cup of vanilla or chocolate ice cream.
There are a lot of possible variations with this recipe. Here are a few suggestions:
- Use other flavours of ice cream or yogurt
- Add some peanut butter
- Add protein powder
- Add chocolate sauce
- Add caramel sauce
Do you ever have leftover coffee at your house? Do you throw it out, or find a use for it?